Friday, December 7, 2007

Children's Shows @ Jammin' Java

One of my favorite venues - least of all since its about a mile from my house - is Jammin' Java, a coffee house that hosts nightly music on their backstage. Over the past few years I've been able to see great acts such as Billy Joe Shaver, Marah, Todd Snider, Bob Schneider, and the Greencards; but the most enjoyable ones have been seeing my son dance to the various kid's shows. Every weekday morning the venue provides a different artist as well as occasional shows over the weekend. No need to pay the ridiculous prices of corporate shows (i.e. Sesame Street, DoodleBops) as most shows are under $10. My son's favorite is Rocknoceros and their clever CD: Dark Side of the Moon Bounce. Rocknoceros plays every Wednesday morning, but also check Jammin' Java's schedule to see Miss Belle, Mr. Don, Oh Susannah, Mr. Knick Knack, and The Banjo Man.

On weekends, national acts come to town. We recently went to see The Dirty Sock Funtime Band in which I think I enjoyed the music as much as the children. They are a real rock band - just a little more goofier - and they have great interaction with the kids. Just wait to see the kids dance to Dino-Soaring. In the next month you will have the chance to see The Dream Jam Band, the Rocknoceros Holiday Party and Sing-a-long, and the much anticipated "Robbie-noceros" New Years Eve Party for Kids - featuring local favorite Robbie Schaefer. I know where I will be New Years eve.

No comments: