Thursday, February 25, 2010

CD Review: Carrie Newcomer, Before & After

One the the most prolific, and possibly unknown artists, operating in the Americana\Folk genre is Carrie Newcomer, who just released her twelve CD for Rounder Records: Before & After. In the past we have liked Newcomer's material because at times it can be serious, other times comical, and then sometimes pays tribute to older styles. Her latest CD is no different and the title track even includes an appearance by Mary Chapin Carpenter. The duo provides impressive harmonies. The other tracks were also impression - clear acoustics and excellent vocals, all the while telling an important story. I really liked the second track, Ghost Train - I guess I like train songs. But this song speaks to anyone with a transient nature (pack it up and move along). The next few tracks, I Do Not Know Its Name; Stones in the River; and If Not Now move along nicely. They almost blend together - her vocals are sweet. Love the lyrics in A Small Flashlight - - we will find our way with a small flashlight - now that's life. The next few tracks were just nice, easy listening music; none really standing out - but all worth repeating. But Do No Harm immediately grabbed my attention; something about this song - a sad tale of innocence. The final two songs portray her lighter side, I Wish I May I Wish I Might and A Crash of Rhinoceros, with the later being silly enough that my son loves it. In sum, this is a worthwhile CD; some may think her other compilations are deeper - but for pure musical enjoyment - don't pass this up. I can't wait to see a live show.

No comments: