Saturday, February 20, 2010

NPR All Songs Considered - Tiny Desk Concerts

One of the weekly music podcasts I download is NPR's All Songs Considered, hosted by Bob Boilen. Boilen plays mostly pop songs which helps to expand our musical horizon - and at times he introduces us to artists that we start to follow quite closely. He also has accumulated a broad range of musical knowledge in which he imparts to the listener. They are always entertaining shows. Boilen also provides a video podcast called Tiny Desk Concerts which are filmed out of the NPR Music office. This is an interesting setting, the artists feel like they are playing next to you and the video sometimes contains and occasional outside noise - like an ambulance.

The specific podcast that caught my attention was David Rawlings and Gillian Welch. What an awesome performance; I sat mesmerized watching my tiny ipod. That weekly download also included Brooklyn Rider and The Low Anthem. These forced me to take a look at the archive. What a lineup - if that's what you call it. Sarah Siskind, The Avett Brothers, and one I will never erase, Ralph Stanley. Wow.

No comments: