Friday, May 3, 2013

Album Review: Scott Kurt & Down This Road

On the heals of reviewing Austin-based roots rock band Western Youth's latest EP, its time to listen local in a similar vein, this time with Arlington Virginia based Scott Kurt and Down This Road. Kurt is best known around DC as the frontman for the Memphis59 and besides the different vocals - the songs seem somewhat similar to Western Youth's.  Rock'n guitar, the pedal steel, bar songs - what more do you want? Plus each song registers with me. Like Western Youth's Falling Down, we can all relate to Kurt's Last Call and I Swore I Wouldn't - both collaborations with Scott Miller. Being a relatively new father, I understand the message behind My Father's Son.  And ever since my high school days, I've been fond of driving long distances, so I can surely relate to These Four Wheels.  Throw in Rodney Crowell's I Ain't Living Long Like This and I have some background music to help the drive. Cheers.

No comments: