Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Jeff Black's "Folklore" Released Today April 1st

Jeff Black continues his roots music tradition by releasing his 10th CD, Folklore. I'm not sure what part I enjoy more, Black's clear vocals and powerful and vivid songwriting or the "bare bones" musical notes from the 5 string banjo, 6 and 12 string acoustic guitars and harmonica. The title tack is my favorite song, with Break the Ground and Flatcar close behind - but all of Folklore is acoustic poetry. The cover photograph is also pretty cool and reflects the roots tradition of this release. The photo was taken by Black's paternal grandmother, Lotos Nile Black in 1930. Jeff Black writes in his liner notes: “I think it’s the picture of my Dad looking into the camera, into the future, that inspires me, and the fade of my Uncle into the unknown that keeps me searching.”  Recorded at Black’s Arcana Studios and mixed by Dave Sinko (Chris Thile & the Punch Brothers, Sam Bush Band, Don Williams), the CD comes highly recommended. Pair with Nashville's Nelson’s Green Brier Distillery rootsy pre-prohibition brand Belle Meade Bourbon.


No comments: