Tuesday, June 18, 2013

CD Review: Phoebe Hunt Live at the Cactus Cafe

For the past couple weeks, I've been listening relentlessly to Phoebe Hunt's Live at the Cactus Cafe. I've been following Ms. Hunt since her days with The Belleville Outfit so I leaped at the chance to hear a preview version of her live CD.  Why, first - I love her voice - sultry and sweet. And her fiddle. And the range of her musical influences. There's blues, gypsy jazz, old time jazz, western swing, country. You name it, it seems like she can sing it - authentically. This release is a little pop-ish then what I'm normally accustomed to, but paired with her pal, Reed Turner, hits home - as in Take Me Home. Hunt also covers former band mate Connor Forsyth in Before I'm Done - with Forsyth on the keyboards - that shows the range of her vocals. Very nice.  As is Walk Away - my favorite track.  This CD is also economical - 16 songs in total - with Turner leading with guitar plus his I Got Love. Still listen to Turner's Ghosts in the Attic on a regular basis and I think Live at the Cactus Cafe will join it in the rotation. Cheers.


No comments: