Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Album Review: Graham Colton - Lonely Ones

One of the regular shows I try to catch at Jammin' Java, my local music joint, is Graham Colton. Colton always attracts a good crowd and can guarantee an entertaining performance every show. He's back on tour (February 23rd at J.J.) in support of his just released CD, Lonely Ones. I purchased the full release yesterday and after listening for the entire day see that this former singer-songwriter has transitioned to a larger sound. Think of the psychedelic orchestration of The Black Keys paired with soft melodies of previous Colton releasess. The first track Mixed Up is where I got the Black Keys reference, and it continues with the next track, Born To Raise Hell, an interesting story of a serial killer - wrapped in many la la las. Hands Untied showcases both the larger sound balanced with a catchy melody that continues with the rest of the release. Taking a detour from my alt-country ways, I really enjoyed this CD - nice job Graham. Been pairing with a big Cabernet Franc from CrossKeys Vineyards & Estates. Cheers.

No comments: