Friday, May 9, 2014

Album Review: Seth Walker - Sky Still Blue

I've missed the last couple times Seth Walker has played at Jammin Java and after listening to his latest, Sky Still Blue, I'm regretting those decisions. This release is tremendous - the lyrics, the swagger in his voice, and  since he's moved to new Orleans, his Americana sound has been infused with funky blues. This is perhaps my favorite of the year. Five songs were co-written by producer Oliver Wood of The Wood Brothers which include many of my favorites: Easy Come, Easy Go, High Wire, and the final track - Way Too Far. Joining Walker are longtime bandmates Steve Mackey (bass) and Derrek Phillips (drums) as well as Chris Wood and Jano Rix. But don't ignore Walker's guitar work - it funky demeanor stands out in many tracks - just listen to Trouble (Don't Want No) or Either Way I Lose. Pair with NOLA Brewing and listen often. Cheers.

No comments: