Monday, September 1, 2014

August Shows: Enter the Haggis, Girls Guns and Glory, & Blair Crimmins and The Hookers

August was filled with family vacations but I did get a chance to see a few excellent shows starting with Enter the Haggis playing at the Nottoway Park Vienna concert series.  I've been following this Canadian Celtic Rock band for a number of years now since I first heard them at Jammin' Java. This evening they played several songs off my favorite of their releases, Gutter Anthems, as well as several new songs available from their new love CD, Live At Saint Claire.These guys are fun to listen to so take a look at their tour schedule for the remainder of '04.

Next up was Americana, Country, Rock band Girls Guns and Glory as they opened for Sarah Borges at IOTA Club. I really shouldn't write opened for because they were touring with Borges in order to support their join LP single “Mixed Messages". They performed several songs from their #1 rated release Good Luck - I'm singing All The Way Up To Heaven to myself right now - as well a a few with Ms. Borges. There's some nice chemistry with these Boston area natives. And Borges is one cool cat, when not performing with the band, she hung out in the audience dancing and singing along.

The next evening I caught Atlanta based old time jazz player Blair Crimmins and The Hookers in Georgetown's Gypsy Sally's. Last I saw Crimmins, the band was opening for Yarn at this venue, and now the main event. This is one act I highly encourage you to see. The music is fun, the band is entertaining, and multi-instrumentalist Crimmins also writes clever lyrics. Having an expanded playlist, the even turned a few covers into a gypsy jazz sound. The highlight was the band marching through the venue, over the bar, playing and dancing to Cajun Mardi Gras Song. Go see this band.

No comments: