Friday, February 13, 2015

Album Review: The Vespers - Sisters and Brothers

It's been a long time since I first heard The Vespers when they opened a show for Cadillac Sky. The young quartet has just released their third album, Sisters and Brothers - which I listened to a Brite Revolution.The title is relevant since the band is comprised of two pairs of siblings - the Cryar sisters and Jones brothers.  The band started out as a roots folk band with some bluegrass; but their latest expands into more of a rock-pop sound. A perfect example is "Cynical Soul" with it's acoustic instruments, but pop melodies. I like how the album begins, with the slow opening in "Break the Cycle" and "Signs" has a rockin' Black Keys feel. I suspect one power-pop song that will be popular is "You Leave Me" - but for my tastes - I like the old Vespers sound. Cheers.

No comments: