Saturday, November 21, 2009

20 Days in November - Day 16: The Flying Cows of Ventry Bay

I wanted to take it easy tonight - since I crashed pretty hard last night - I wanted to stay close to home. Not far from us, in Great Falls Virginia, lies a popular Irish bar: The Old Brogue. The restaurant has a formal dining area - plus a pub - and in the pub they host live music four nights a week. Tonight they had scheduled The Flying Cows of Ventry Bay, a band that plays traditional Irish folk music while dabbling into "related musical pastures such as bluegrass, country and western swing". And when you see that they incorporate the banjo and fiddle into repertoire, its not a far stretch to imagine them playing these "related musical pastures". The pub was packed - the smoke and conversation overwhelming the senses. Eventually I was able to squeeze into an opening at the bar and enjoy an Old Speckled Hen and the band. They played tradition Irish fare this evening - some ballads as well as some sing-a-longs. It's been awhile since I ventured into this atmosphere and it brought back pleasant memories of Saint Patrick's Days of yesteryear. I really like the band's composition - acoustic guitar, banjo, and fiddle - it provides an authentic folksy sound. Eventually the smoke in the corner drove me out - but I look forward to seeing The Flying Cows of Ventry Bay - perhaps the beginning of December at The Auld Shebeen in Fairfax.

No comments: